learn about our company

About Us


ABOUT Fleetsmart

FleetSmart offers a full spectrum of filing and consulting services. We are here to guide you through the entire registration processes, which can be confusing and a little difficult. We started FleetSmart to help individuals or companies acquire and maintain their own Operating Authority. Our team has experience in almost every sector of the trucking business, starting out as drivers, dispatchers, leasing equipment and factoring. We know what it takes to run your own trucking company and exactly what it takes to get you started. We always put the client’s needs first and pride ourselves on a great customer experience.

"Don’t try to tell the customer what he wants. If you want to be smart, be smart in the shower. Then get out, go to work, and serve the customer!”

Gene Buckley

We Will Help You Every Step Of The Way

important things you should know

Questions And Answers

The USDOT Number is a federal, intrastate number that serves as an identifier when collecting and monitoring a company’s safety information.

A USDOT Number is required if you have:
Vehicles that are over 10,000 lbs, that transport goods for compensation
If you transport between 9 and 15 passengers (including the driver) for compensation,
If you transport 16 or more passengers, or
Haul hazardous materials in interstate commerce

The definition of an Authorized For-Hire Carrier is a person or company that provides transportation of cargo or passengers for compensation. If you are a for-hire carrier and travel interstate, in addition to the USDOT Number you will also need to obtain Operating Authority (MC Number). The MC number is the federal, interstate Motor Carrier Number issued from the FMCSA.

Apply for it. You may apply online with the FMCSA or use a company like ours to complete the filing.

USDOT Number
MC Number
BOC-3 form filed
UCR Registration
IFTA License and Decal Stickers
Heavy Vehicle Use Tax (IRS Form 2290)
Enrollment in a Drug Consortium Pool
Driver Qualification File for each CDL Driver
* For your specific requirements based on your situation please give us a call. More or less may be required of you.

It is an annual, federal tax from the IRS for all heavy highway vehicles. Heavy means any vehicle over 55,000 lbs. It costs $550 year. It is due each July and is good through June 30th. It is prorated $46 a month if you need it any other month. You need company information including the EIN Number. your vehicles VIN, and your GVW to complete the filing. The fine for not having it is 4.5% of the total tax due. Included in our Annual Services Program

We submit your application online to the FMCSA the same day we receive it. The FMSCA issues the Motor Carrier Number (MC Number) immediately but they take 2-3 weeks to active the MC number. You will be required to put insurance on file before they will activate it. You have up to 9 months to put insurance on file. If you don’t, put insurance on file within that time frame the FMCSA will dismiss your application and you will have to reapply and repay them the $300 fee.

Interstate commerce is transportation involving the crossing of a state boundary. Intrastate commerce is transportation within a single state.

The GVW is your Gross Vehicle Weight Rating and it is the maximum total weight of the truck and trailer combination, fully loaded.

The BOC-3 (Blanket of Coverage) form is to designate a process agent for you in all 50 states. A process agent is a representative upon whom court papers may be served in any proceeding brought against a motor carrier, broker, or freight forwarder.

The Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) Program is a federally-mandated, state tax on interstate freight, collected annually.
Included in our Annual Services Program

Your DOT number is active immediately and you may run intrastate but you will need to wait until the FMCSA activates your MC Number before you will be legal to run interstate.

You will be required to have a DOT Safety Audit within the first 12 months of activation. You will be notified of an upcoming audit by mail. The letter will instruct you to call the FMCSA to verify company information. They will then mail you another letter with a list of things you need to have on file to pass the safety audit. You will need to answer the questions and provide any requested documentation. They do not do a physical vehicle inspection for hauling cargo, only if you haul passengers.

A couple of important items you will need to have on file;
1. Enrollment in a Drug Consortium Program to include, pre- employment drug test
2. DOT medical card
3. Driver Qualification File for each CDL driver to include MVR Report for 3 years
4. Daily vehicle inspection sheets (if you have more than one truck and trailer).
5. DOT Certified annual inspection of truck.
6. Drug and Alcohol Policy Manual
7. Supervisor Training Program. (This is required if you have more than one driver).
We can help with the paperwork needed to pass the audit.